Thinking up with a wonderful, short and snappy domain name can be quite a challenge! Here we have seven tips for you to help you get to that perfect online address!
- If you are a local business, include your town or location, for example, if vintageshoes.com is already taken you could consider www.brixton-vintageshoes.com.
- Include your name in your domain name. handmadechocolates.com might be taken, but what about chocolatesbylisa.com?
- If your business is going to be centered around you and your personality, for example if you are a coach, or a therapist, using just your name is an option also, for example leoniedawson.com
- Combine two words to make up your domain name. Sometimes when they start and end with the same letter, your domain name might look a bit odd. For example alive essence together becomes aliveessence.com. For readability you could include a hyphen in the name; alive-essence.com. If aliveessence.com is also still available it might be useful to also register that domain name. Both domain names can then be pointed to your website, and people will then end up there whether they type it with or without the hyphen.
- Think about synonyms, if lovelychocolate.com is already registered, maybe heavenlychocolate is not? You can use a synonym generator such as thesaurus.com to generate ideas, or use one of the tools listed in our post on domain name tools.
- Have a look at all the different domain name extensions that are available nowadays. For example, one of our clients recently set up a website under the domain name livingmybestlife.today. It is sometimes possible to be creative with the extension and include it in your name. Or you can make a subdomain part of your domain name, and in this way still use the word you had in mind. An example http://chocol.at/e This can get a bit complicated but is certainly creative, and might work work really well in certain cases. There are also several tools that help you find these more creative solutions, read more about them in our post on domain name tools. Also read more about domain name extensions in our post six tips for choosing the perfect domain name.
- Think of a new word! Many terms that are so common in use today were not known words before someone thought them up. Think of Flickr, Instagram, Pinterest. If it short and it sounds and feels good, it might be just what you need. There is a tool to help you generate new words: www.wordoid.com.
Good luck on your journey to the perfect domain name!
These tips are part of our Domain Name e-book – Finding and Securing the Perfect Domain Name with lots of useful info, domain name brainstorm tips and creative ideas, domain name tools and FAQ about domain name registration.
Subscribers to our newsletter list receive our domain name e-book as a welcome gift – once you have subscribed you will be directed to our downloads page.